Monday, March 7, 2011

Crazy grooming product replacements: Step 1-Shampoo

In an effort to decrease the amount of chemicals in our bodies, my husband and I lead a little bit of a different life than the average US citizen. I think it's sad that there are so many chemicals out there and most of them aren't even tested. Not only that, much of the food we eat is processed with chemicals that are well-known to be harmful. For example, chickens are disinfected in chlorine, and it's common practice to use ammonia to kill bacteria in ground beef. Some of our children's most favorite foods are filled with chemicals proven to cause ADHD, hormonal problems, the list goes on and on. Some of these chemicals are actually not used in the very same products in places like Europe. And sadly enough, some of the fondest memories of being a new parent--the smell of baby soap, goofing up as we change our baby's first diaper--are drenched with chemicals that are very, very harmful for our new little ones. Check out healthychild.org or the cosmetic database for some info on these things.

My husband and I have just started to change the way we live. So we aren't experts by any means. We not only want to be kinder to our bodies, but also to the environment. What happens when all these chemicals we slather on our bodies are absorbed and then go down the drain? Do we think it just stops there? Can you even pronounce more than 2 ingredients on the back of your shampoo bottle? I know I sure as hell can't. Pantene and Herbal Essences sure smell great, but what the fuck is in them?

Sometimes I wonder how people before us lived. I mean, what did they shower with? Didn't they smell all the time? How did the world survive without chemistry and science to help us out? Seriously, don't get me wrong, science has gotten us so far. I have no idea where we would even be today without the gains made by science. But then again when it comes to the cosmetic industry and the things they produce to make money, J and I have found many simple things to replace products we use every day and these simple things are not only cheaper, they work better!

Shampoo
I used to be one of those women that slathered my hair up everyday in the shower with salon hair care products, if I could afford them at the time, or some other popular brand of shampoo. Since I have fine hair, I was always concerned with volume. Well, the great news is I can fix that with VOLUMIZING SHAMPOO for fine hair, which was also guaranteed to make my fine hair strong! Thanks guys!! However, I kept noticing over and over I had frizzies, everywhere. My hair also seemed to keep thinning and that's scary when I'm not even 30 yet.

After some research, and unintended experimentation being home with two small kids, I found that my first culprint was washing my hair everyday. (Oh, and that fine hair shampoo is actually formulated to dry fine hair out so that it'll stand up better, kind of counterproductive to the making hair stronger part.) It was a hard addiction to stop. Really hard. I personally thought it was gross, but found my hair was much stronger and shinier when I was busy with a newborn and a one and a half year old and didn't get time to wash my hair. Like not greasy shinier, but shinier even when I did finally find the time to take a shower. I went from washing my hair every other day about a year ago, to now I wash it every 4 (sometimes I wet it down if my style needs it othertimes I just wake up and go). I know, that sounds disgusting. Believe me though, your body is very versatile and adjusts to this. The only reason most people have super greasy hair after going one day without washing is that washing with shampoo actually dries out our hair and scalp. The greasiness is your body trying to help your hair out and restore some moisture. It's on a schedule and if you mess with it, it's going to have to take a little while to figure out what the hell you are doing and what you've changed. It took a while for my body to adjust to this. But once it has...Holy COW! I rarely, if ever lose hair when I wash my hair! I used to lose clumps, every day. My hair was so brittle. Not only that, my hair is so much shinier now. And on days 2-4 of not washing, I can do whatever with my hair and it stays. It used to just fall out of a ponytail, or never hold curl. Now it stays. And it's not greasy. I've asked my husband (who also follows this routine) and he says it's not a grease fest. That, and I'm very anti being icky. So I wouldn't adhere to this if I had disgusting hair.

After some more online searching, my husband and I also found that washing your hair with baking soda and then doing an apple cider vinegar rinse works really well. Sounds messed up, yep. But then again, think about all those chemicals you aren't absorbing in the shower! Check out this easy instructables here. If that's not really thing, we also sometimes use a simple castile soap but still condition with the ACV. I can actually pronounce the ingredients on the label. We like Dr. Bronner's unscented baby version. Oh, and using baking soda is cheap and doesn't pollute the environment with all those plastic shampoo containers (we buy the HUGE baking soda from Sam's Club)

Oh, and for those of you who are wondering, I STILL SHOWER EVERYDAY. So don't think I'm running around all stinky.

NOTE: To do your body even more of a favor consider an even crazier (even less mainstream) alternative. Maybe to come in the future for me is an experiment like these:
Sean Bronner
Sean Bonner update
No More Dirty Looks
Free the Animal

Please let me know if you decide to try any of this. I'd like to hear your reactions. And remember, the body NEEDS SOME TIME to adjust. Don't go frantic if on the third day you feel "icky".


I suggest that if you are open to doing your body and the environment a favor, do some research yourself to check all this out. I have more posts to come on this topic, toothpaste, deodorant, lotion and shaving alternatives.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Maybe we can get some people to ditch the stupid money making corporate schemes with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...very interesting. Things I've never really considered. I would be concerned about BO, but there are natural BO killers out there that I'd be interested in. Now I'm going to do some more research...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcie, I did edit my post, but I still take a shower every (well most) days. So, BO isn't really a concern, unless you are talking about the sean bonner posts. And Jason and I have a natural alternative for deodorant that works 10 times better than aluminum laden deodorant. Post to come on that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this on my friends facebook page and thought it was funny
    ..I figured out why I'm so fat. The shampoo I use in the shower that runs down my body says, "for extra volume and body." Going to start using Dawn dish-washing soap. It says, "dissolves fat that is otherwise difficult to remove.
    now on a more related subject i want to go soap less but after i have this baby i always feel so dirty when i am pregnant like i could take 20 baths in one day and i did go soap less for a month after Gio was born and I did not smell i don't think. and i am so excited to read about the alternatives for deodorant i hate using my aluminum deodorant but tom's natural just dose not work for me.

    ReplyDelete