Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Disconnects


This is me. Drinking alcohol. My silly intention after my super stressful day was to post a random silly photo on Facebook with a cutsie caption about "OMG look what I'm doing!"  Except...it wouldn't make sense to anyone. Because really, no one besides my husband knows me enough, really, to know I don't drink. To know I haven't had alcohol in over two years. And even before that I didn't really drink. No one knows me really to know any facts about me. In fact, according to the only me most people know, I have two kids and, since I rarely want my public profile to have a negative feel, am always smiling and happy. So it was wasted. My silly stressful rant was wasted. And I had no one to tell that I was stressed, that I needed an ear. 


While I'm sure it seems silly, it dawned on me just how darn disconnected in a world where it's so easy to connect we are. We have hundreds of friends on Facebook but many of us are lacking what we really need: just one that knows who we are through and through and that we really know too. Oh sure, I know how many kids you have, where you went on vacay last week and when you got back. I even know what the inside of your house looks like, how your doctor appointment went. But truly, I don't know a damn thing about you, and you don't know a damn thing about me. 

I'm sick of fake. Fake friends, fake photos, fake breasts, fake food, fake plants, fake charities, fake smiles, fake interest, fake small talk, fake and plastic through and through. 

I'm sincere, I'm blunt, I'm bitchy, I'm whiney, I'm exuberant at times. And I am done with fake. I'm making over my life one real and true thing at a time. My likes, hugs, friends, time and love will be real. And if I don't mesh with you and you don't mesh with me, let's handle this third grade style and just not play together anymore. I promise, you don't need to Facebook friend me as a consolation prize. 

Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment